19 Jun New Initiative: Gender Equal Media Scotland
Gender Equal Media Scotland (GEMScot) was created by scholars at the University of Strathclyde’s Applied Gender Studies programme and partners to transform media through feminist research, journalism and advocacy.
GEMScot has organised a workshop series titled Tackling Gendered Inequalities in Scottish News with funding from the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
The first workshop Gendered Representations in Scottish News held on June 6 discussed the evidence on women’s representation in local, national and international media. Listen to the podcasts and download the resources from the links below.
- Handle With Care guide for journalists reporting on Violence Against Women
- Handle With Care guide for journalists reporting on Violence Against Women: Summary Document
- One thousand words: free stock images for reporting violence against women
- How to report on abortion: a guide for journalists, editors and media outlets
- Gynmed: free images for reporting on abortion and women’s reproductive health
The second workshop Who Makes the News? Gendered Employment Patterns and Questions of Access scheduled for June 19 will “explore questions around the gendered pay gap, online abuse, and strategies for creating opportunities for women both within and outside of traditional media organisations”. (read more).