The Women’s Media Center announces the publication of the WMC Status of Women in U.S. Media Report 2015.
The study looked at the 10 most widely circulated newspapers in the U.S., the national evening news broadcasts, the most-viewed Internet news sites and two international wire services.
The study found that:
- Overall, men generated 62.1 percent of news; women generated 37.3 percent.
- In evening broadcast news, men were on camera 68 percent of the time. These include appearances by anchors as well as correspondents. Women were on-camera 32 percent of the time.
- In print, men wrote 62 percent of all stories in 10 of the most widely circulated newspapers. Women wrote just 37 percent.
- On the Internet, men wrote 58 percent of content at four online news sites. Women wrote 42 percent of the content.
- On the wires, men wrote 62 percent of the content. Women wrote 38 percent.